Wiki I & d

pglazener

Networker
Best answers
I work for a family practice and they do many I&Ds. I am looking for info on 27301 - I&D, deep abscess, bursa, or hematoma, thigh/knee. What constitutes a deep abscess? Can this procedure be used for office visit or is it hospital? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lay description

Here's the lay description of 27301 from Encoder Pro ...
The physician drains an abscess, a hematoma, or a bursa from deep within the thigh or knee region. The physician makes an incision in the thigh or knee overlying the site of the abscess, hematoma, or bursa to be incised. Dissection is carried through the deep subcutaneous tissues and may be continued into the fascia or muscle to expose the abscess, hematoma, or bursa. The incision may be extended if the mass is larger than expected. When the bursa, abscess, or hematoma is identified, it is incised and the contents are drained. The area is irrigated and the incision is repaired in layers with sutures, staples, and/or Steri-strips; closed with drains in place; or simply left open to further facilitate drainage of infection.
(emphasis added by FTB)

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC