Wiki HTN caused by Meds

jonique.dietzen

Networker
Best answers
Hello Everyone, I have a diagnosis question.

The patient is being seen for nosebleeds. The nosebleeds are caused by her essential hypertension which is exacerbated by her long term use of Aderall (amphetamine). The doctor is suggesting that she stop taking her Aderall until her HTN is under control and that should stop the nosebleeds.

Do I code for both the Essential HTN and HTN secondary? I cannnot find a code for HTN secondary to medication. I also cannot find a code for the long term use of amphetamines.

I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,
Jonique Dietzen, CPC

Hello Everyone, I have a diagnosis question.

The patient is being seen for nosebleeds. The nosebleeds are caused by her essential hypertension which is exacerbated by her long term use of Aderall (amphetamine). The doctor is suggesting that she stop taking her Aderall until her HTN is under control and that should stop the nosebleeds.

Do I code for both the Essential HTN and HTN secondary? I cannnot find a code for HTN secondary to medication. I also cannot find a code for the long term use of amphetamines.

I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,
Jonique Dietzen, CPC

I think HTN is only exacerbated by the use of aderall but it does not contributes the cause of HTN, so code only I10.