Wiki Hpi

Ann

Best answers
Every where I look it states HPI is a chronological descripiton of the development of the patient's present illness from the first sign and/or symptom or from the previous encounter. With that in mind I have 2 questions.

1)If a patient is being referred to a new provider for an exisiting condition and the new provider documents history from previous notes that he reviewed we can not use that as HPI correct?

2)If a patient is being seen for a follow up and the provider is documenting all past information we can not use that as HPI, correct? It should be history of the condition from the last visit to present, correct? Not information from the onset of the condition?

The first sign or sympton vs previous encounter is throwing me for a loop. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

To be compliant in both the encounters we cannot consider the history 'copy pasted' from previous encounters.

Every where I look it states HPI is a chronological descripiton of the development of the patient's present illness from the first sign and/or symptom or from the previous encounter. With that in mind I have 2 questions.

1)If a patient is being referred to a new provider for an exisiting condition and the new provider documents history from previous notes that he reviewed we can not use that as HPI correct?

2)If a patient is being seen for a follow up and the provider is documenting all past information we can not use that as HPI, correct? It should be history of the condition from the last visit to present, correct? Not information from the onset of the condition?

The first sign or sympton vs previous encounter is throwing me for a loop. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

The provider should be getting the HPI elements from the patient; he can get credit for reviewing old records in the Medical decision making area section 2 or he could use it in past medical history.