Wiki HPI Question - accidently stapled

LindsayC

Contributor
Best answers
In the AAPC CEMC Study Guide, this is an example:

Chief Complaint: Staple lodged in finger

HPI: While at school today, the patient accidently stapled her pointer finger on her fight hand. It happened 3 hours ago. She also complains of a runny nose and scratchy sore throat which started 3 days ago.

They are stating the HPI is extended, which I agree. However they are stating that quality is one of the elements?

Are they considering the associated signs and symptoms in the quality??? I am a little confused because I thought the quality was pertaining to the problem. The scratchy throat and runny nose were associated signs which is a completely different element.

If someone could help, it would be much appreciated.

I agree. Quality is the characterisitc of the problem, so "scratchy" would be quality for the throat problem. There are really two issues seen as potential "present illness" problems. The finger and ENT, so you could use "scratchy" as a quality for the throat. The immediate chief complaint (what brought the patient in) is the staple in the finger, but the doctor notices a potential ENT issue, and addresses it as well. Both are permited in the HPI :)