Wiki How to code when surgery never started

meganrveach

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I have a case where the patient was emergently taken back to OR later the same day after having heart surgery for post op bleeding. The anesthesiologist intubated patient and performed TEE. The cardiac surgeon only observed and he decided no need for any additional surgeries. The anesthesiologist does have his documentation as intubated, anesthesia start 16:04 and anesthesia stop 17:31 along with the TEE, report and interp. How do I code this since the surgeon never touched the patient, but the anesthesiologist did perform services? Thanks for any help you can give me.

the surgeon would have not charges for surgery. if he had critial care of more than 31 minutes prior to the purposed surgery you can bill for that. otherwise, I can't think of a senario that you could bill anything for the surgeon as the patient is now in global. of course this does depend on your insurance carrier's definition of usual post-operative care.

I'm sorry, I neglected to say, I am coding for the Anesthesiologist, not the surgeon.