Wiki How can I know what I got right/wrong on the Exams?

Best answers
Looking to retake the medical billing exam, however I’m feeling leery because there isn’t any information on what answers were correct or wrong on the test. Getting a percentage grade only does not help. How can I know what answers I got right/wrong on the exam so I can better prepare myself for the retake?

I seem to remember seeing others state that if you fail the results section shows you what to study. I could be wrong though.​

Found in the CPC Exam FAQ for the new format:​

Will Areas of Study be available when I get my online exam results?​

Not at this time. Once both parts of the exam are completed you will receive a Pass/Fail and an overall score. If you would like areas of study, please contact support.

I am curious to know if anyone else had a negative experience taking the CPC Exam. Unfortunately, I did not pass, but came to realize that the exam is not graded the way it is stated on the website. “For a passing score of 70%, you must get at least 70 questions correct. If you incorrectly answer more than 30 questions, you will not pass.”

Instead, it seems that the exam questions are divided into randomly created “areas of study” that have between 3 and 10 questions. Then depending on which questions you answer incorrectly, you are given a percentage. This makes the test almost impossible to pass.
Furthermore, these “areas of study” do not even correlate from what is on the website.

When I questioned this, I received some contradictory boilerplate response. Then when I requested a copy of my exam so I know what questions I missed, they said “To protect the integrity of the exam, we are unable to provide you the specific questions that you missed”. That makes no sense.

My focus is the fact that they are not transparent in the way these exams are graded and students have the right to know and understand the expectations, as well as have access to their results. It is so discouraging having what I believe legitimate concerns dismissed with no review process in place.

I am curious to know if anyone else had a negative experience taking the CPC Exam. Unfortunately, I did not pass, but came to realize that the exam is not graded the way it is stated on the website. “For a passing score of 70%, you must get at least 70 questions correct. If you incorrectly answer more than 30 questions, you will not pass.”

Instead, it seems that the exam questions are divided into randomly created “areas of study” that have between 3 and 10 questions. Then depending on which questions you answer incorrectly, you are given a percentage. This makes the test almost impossible to pass.
Furthermore, these “areas of study” do not even correlate from what is on the website.

When I questioned this, I received some contradictory boilerplate response. Then when I requested a copy of my exam so I know what questions I missed, they said “To protect the integrity of the exam, we are unable to provide you the specific questions that you missed”. That makes no sense.

My focus is the fact that they are not transparent in the way these exams are graded and students have the right to know and understand the expectations, as well as have access to their results. It is so discouraging having what I believe legitimate concerns dismissed with no review process in place.
It's very discouraging. I'd like to take the test again as not to waste money spent on the course, but who's to say its not set up for a certain number to pass/fail a number of times for the AACP to reap more money? AACP needs to make the test results transparent, not only for the student to see what they have right/wrong, but to produce students that are more knowledgeable when entering the medical billing field.

I think you're misunderstanding something. You need a 70% overall to pass. On a 100 question exam, that means you need to get 70 questions right.

The breakdown by area of study is just shown so that you can review your performance in each area to study for a re-take. It's informational.

Your overall percentage score for your entire exam is what determines whether you pass or not.

It's very discouraging. I'd like to take the test again as not to waste money spent on the course, but who's to say its not set up for a certain number to pass/fail a number of times for the AACP to reap more money? AACP needs to make the test results transparent, not only for the student to see what they have right/wrong, but to produce students that are more knowledgeable when entering the medical billing field.

It's not graded on a curve. If you answer enough questions right, then you pass. If you don't, then you don't pass.

I've proctored exams where everyone in the room ended up passing, and some exams where a few people did not pass. You're graded individually.

I understand that it's stressful not to pass an exam. However, remember that these are professional certification exams. They're not designed to be easy to pass.

This is not something unique to AAPC or medical coding. It happens in other fields that involve certifications/exams too. People fail the bar exam, the NCLEX, the CPA exam, PRAXIS exams. and various other professional certification exams.

Best of luck preparing for your retakes. You can do it!

Thanks so much for all your responses. My argument is that on the website, it is not at all transparent on how the exam is graded. I have included a portion of the response I received from AAPC exam team and it is contradictory.

“The exam is based off a 70% passing score, meaning you do need to get at least 70 questions out of 100 correct in order to pass the exam. (This is considered the “Straight Grading Scale” and is what is mentioned on the website. 100% of people who read this assume that if they get 30 questions or less you pass). However, keep reading….To protect the integrity of the exam, we are unable to provide you the specific questions that you missed. Each area of study consists of a different set number of questions, and it does have 18 areas of study listed on the website matching what you received in your email with your breakdown (can be found here: https://www.aapc.com/certification/cpc/). You may have received a 100% in one area that only consisted of 4 questions, while scoring a 50% for a section that consist 20 of questions. (This statement, completely contradicts what is mentioned above.). Therefore, your final score would be lower than what you may have calculated using your areas of study percentages. (WHAT? this means is that depending on how many questions are in an area of study, sometimes as low as three, can wildly skew your percentage score of each area of study. That is crazy. If you want to focus on the areas of study, then why not have five questions for each section? Fluctuating the number of questions wildly fluctuates the percentage you get and sets you up to fail. Not to mention the fact that none of this is mentioned on the website. You cannot say one thing then do another. Students have the right to know how their grades are calculated. We recommend focusing your studies on an area of the breakdown you received less than 70% on.

I received a 64% grade. If you go by the straight grading scale, that would mean that I got 36 wrong. I can tell you, I may not be an “A” student, but I know I did not get that many wrong. Everyone knows how they feel after they take an exam and I came out feeling in did OK. At least OK to pass. Then I received my score, and the 64% was the average from the amalgamation of percentages from the “areas of study”. Why not just do what they say and calculate scores based on what is stated on the website? If I got 36 questions wrong, I can accept that even if it is embarrassing, but to be hit with a score that I didn’t even get that low on my test exams, and received a 95% on my coursework, really was a shock. Other exams may be graded this way, but this field is not rocket science, you don’t need many years of study to achieve the level of knowledge, and I have taken other exams for professional certificates, none of them where like this, but I guess that has changed. In the end, student’s have the right to know how their grades are calculated and none of this information is given in a transparent way. Given the fact that I received no less than three different answers from the responses I received, you can see this is true.

Again, thanks so much for all the encouraging words, I will need to weigh my options before I decide if I want to re-test.