Wiki Hot Debate

Jacoder

Best answers
For a while now there has been a debate going on between me and several co-workers related to the lab HA1C (Hemeglobin). One of our doctors wants to be able to write on her order sheet, "Run HA1C if blood sugar is elevated" when she orders a CMP. There are many angles to this situation, but my question is this, If the glucose is elevated on the CMP and they run the HA1C, can I use "Run HA1C if BS is elevated" as an diagnosis and code "Abnormal Blood Sugar" 790.29? I know we can't code from the labs unles they are interpretted by a MD, but this senario seems to be borderline. The MD isn't saying that te pateint has elevated blood sugar, but is saying that if they do . . . code it. Does this make sense?

Since this post I have come up with an answer, so I thought I'd post it in case someone else comes upon a similar situation.

According to coding guidelines there are two reasons why I cannot code "If BS is > 100".
1) This is not a definate diagnosis
2) I am not permitted to interpret the lab result, and the Dr who ordered it has not interpreted it either.