Wiki Hospital-based or Freestanding Facility

TNelson1031

Best answers
Hi all,

Can someone provide some guidance on this issue? We are putting a new lab in a building about 30 minutes away from here. It will be hospital owned, but nowhere near the hospital. I need to know if our billing is going to be the same? (one doctor mentioned that we wont be able to bill as a hospital sleep lab, and will have to bill as a free standing lab????

Thank you in advance!!!

I'd recommend you work with your hospital's legal or compliance department on this - the regulations about whether or not your lab will qualify to be billed as a facility are really complex and depend on many factors such as what services will be performed, the distance from the hospital, governance, integration of medical records, supervision and compensation of staff, licensing, etc. You may want to do some reading up on 'provider-based' status and IDTFs to give you an overview, but the rules are hard to understand and have changed a lot in recent years, so really it's best to have an expert handle this and review all of the relevant material to make sure you don't miss anything, as well as also ensure you are billing and getting reimbursed appropriately.

I'd recommend you work with your hospital's legal or compliance department on this - the regulations about whether or not your lab will qualify to be billed as a facility are really complex and depend on many factors such as what services will be performed, the distance from the hospital, governance, integration of medical records, supervision and compensation of staff, licensing, etc. You may want to do some reading up on 'provider-based' status and IDTFs to give you an overview, but the rules are hard to understand and have changed a lot in recent years, so really it's best to have an expert handle this and review all of the relevant material to make sure you don't miss anything, as well as also ensure you are billing and getting reimbursed appropriately.

Thank you Thomas for this information!