Wiki Horizon BCBS denying CPT 76604 Ultrasound, chest and 76775 Ultrasound, retroperitoneal for Invalid Place of Service 21

she803

Guru
Best answers
Good morning all!
I have a question regarding CPT 76604--Ultrasound, chest and 76775--Ultrasound, retroperitoneal denials from Horizon BCBS due to invalid place of service 21--we are receiving a lot of these denials.

These services have been billed for inpatient place of service 21.
The physician is not a radiologist but billed these services as interpretation and reporting as documented on the reports including appending modifier 26.

Is there any way to resolve/correct these denials for reimbursement/payment?...i.e. are there any replacement CPT codes for CPT 76604 and 76775 that are compatible with place of service 21?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Good morning all!
I have a question regarding CPT 76604--Ultrasound, chest and 76775--Ultrasound, retroperitoneal denials from Horizon BCBS due to invalid place of service 21--we are receiving a lot of these denials.

These services have been billed for inpatient place of service 21.
The physician is not a radiologist but billed these services as interpretation and reporting as documented on the reports including appending modifier 26.

Is there any way to resolve/correct these denials for reimbursement/payment?...i.e. are there any replacement CPT codes for CPT 76604 and 76775 that are compatible with place of service 21?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Bumping up

Not my area of expertise, but I would suggest reaching out to the carrier. The coding seems correct with -26 if that is the test being performed and your physician is doing a full interpretation and report (not just like a wet read). My GUESS is that a radiologist may have also billed the interpretation.