Wiki Hipaa

haraml7

Guru
Best answers
Is it ok to send medical records to an attorney under a NON-Secure website/email? I think this would be a HIPPA violation even if the patient signs a paper stating there medical records can be sent out.. Am I correct. Please help. Thank you

Is it ok to send medical records to an attorney under a NON-Secure website/email? I think this would be a HIPPA violation even if the patient signs a paper stating there medical records can be sent out.. Am I correct. Please help. Thank you

It is also my belief this would be a serious HIPAA violation. The medical records release, signed by the patient, allows the attorney access. These should be sent securely. :)

There's nothing in the HIPAA regulations that tells you specifically how to transmit or send PHI. What HIPAA does tell us is that if we screw up and inadvertently release PHI, we're in trouble, and that we should insure that reasonable safeguards are in place before that happens.
So although it's not a good idea to transmit PHI via an insecure email, that itself is not a violation. It's a violation if the data gets into the wrong hands because we were stupid enough to send it in an insecure email.

Reasonable safeguards are secure emails, encrypted CDs or bonded couriers.

thank you

Thank you so much for the reply. I was aware of this but I needed some feedback. Thanks again.