Wiki HIPAA Breach Help

marianne202

Contributor
Best answers
Hi All,

So, I'm working on a HIPAA project and I'm trying to include unusual HIPAA breach scenarios or stories - things that you might not immediately think of as a possible breach. If you know of any unusual scenarios please email me or post here along with any investigation or outcome information.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Letting employees access Facebook on the office computers is a huge risk. Facebook or Twitter or others like this are extremely easy for hackers to access your other information thru.

Physician's using there cell phone and texting everything. Not good. Not checking fax number before sending fax with PHI. Make use your BAA are up to date over 30% of PHI breached have involved a Business Associate from 2009-2014. Remember there has been over 120,221 HIPAA complaints as of 9/11/2015. Don't forget USB drives and staff working from home are all risk areas. example of breach: 9/2015 Excellus Health Plan Breach due to hacking reported 10M records breached. Hack dates back to 2013, was discovered in August 2015. FBI now involved.