Wiki Hip Joint Injections

caromissunc1

Best answers
Doc has done a bilateral greater trochanteric bursal injection as well as bilateral hip joint injections. Don't know if MCR will let 20610 fly 4 times. Even with a modifier 59/51. Has anyone else tried this?:confused:

I have only had one physician try this and when I asked for clarification he admitted that he did not remove the needle from the hip, all the way out of the body entirely and re-inject into the joint. Were two different drugs given?

I would hesitate until I had clear documentation to support 4 injections into two body areas. I wouldn't totally say no as the descriptor says joint or bursa.

Doc has done a bilateral greater trochanteric bursal injection as well as bilateral hip joint injections. Don't know if MCR will let 20610 fly 4 times. Even with a modifier 59/51. Has anyone else tried this?:confused:

You'll have a very difficult time justifying the 59 modifier based on separate anatomical location. I would stick 2 injections based bilaterally. You might be asking for trouble that's not worth it.