Wiki hernia repair - Pt was scheduled

Best answers
HI!
Pt was scheduled for a inguinal hernia repair. When the provider incised subcutaneous tissue, the scarpa fascia and the external oblique muscle fascia. As I opened a large mass of fat popped out attached to the cored. Upon dissection I found out that this looked like a lipoma. I completed the incision of the external obliques and with about 2 passes, a Penrose drain under the cord giving some tension, I was able to dissect the lipoma of the cored. There was no, as I mentioned earlier, hernia sack. Then I took a piece of mesh and I anchored it with several stitches to the pubic tubercle.

Can i bill for a hernia procedure with modifer 52 for reduced services? :confused:

thanks for your help!!

Code 55520 (Excision of lesion of spermatic cord [separate procedure]) properly describes excisions of the type your surgeon performed. But 55520 is a designated "separate procedure" that occurs here with a related primary procedure, the hernia repair 49505 (Repair initial inguinal hernia, age 5 years or older; reducible). Therefore, correct coding dictates that you bundle the excision into the hernia repair. This still applies if the patient is under 5 years of age.

hernia

Thanks to you both!!
But I did forget the most important word in the note (LOL)
There was NO hernia sac, sorry about that, that is why I wanted to do reduced service. Thanks!!:eek:

LoL!! I just re-read your 1st post. How did I miss that?? In that case I would only code for the lipoma of the cord (55520) as TWinsor stated earlier.