Wiki Help!!!

pajohnson

Guru
Best answers
I have an interview in this area and will be taking a small pre-employment test....any hints or helpful tips. PLEASE HELP!!!!
I have never coded in this specialty before..

Any info is greatly appreciated
Patricia

I have an interview in this area and will be taking a small pre-employment test....any hints or helpful tips. PLEASE HELP!!!!
I have never coded in this specialty before..

Any info is greatly appreciated
Patricia

All I can suggest to to review the CPT Guidelines for Anesthesia, and ask if you are expected to have an RVU (relative value guide) and ASA Crosswalk book BEFORE your test. Those books are crucial to anesthesia coding. Other basics for anesthesia are understanding CRNAs, SRNAs, and resident billing for anesthesia (and knowing the modifiers AA, QY, QK, QX, QZ). If two surgeries are done at the time session, use the anesthesia code with the higher base unit value, and revenue for the other procedure is captured in the time. Remember there are physical status modifiers (P1-P6) that are assigned by the MD, coders cannot choose these. It's based on risk factors, like if the patient is asthmatic or obese and therefore higher risk for anesthesia. There's a lot more to anesthesia, but I don't want to overwhelm you! Mostly likely a pre-employment exam is going to test your basic knowledge of coding in general, so review your ICD-9 guidelines as well. GOOD LUCK!!! I sort of fell into anesthesia billing myself about 6 years ago and now I have my specialty certification in it as well. Even with all that, I still feel like I am learning this specialty. But it's a good one to know, as there are not a lot of us anesthesia coders out there.

Patricia,

You may want to review your anatomy as well. Some of the codes are found a little easier if you know anatomy.