Wiki help

CINDYMALONE

Best answers
I have several breast surgeries that my breast surgeon did a procedure on this month and then another surgeon did immediate reconstruction after the procedures in the same OR. I am not sure if a modifier needs to be added or not. As or right now my surgeon has not dictated an op note but in the surgeon who has done the reconstruction has mentioned her name and what she did before him.

example:

Breast surgeon did bilateral total mastectomies today, an immediate reconstruction is to follow.

performed an incision thru her weiss pattern markings to gain access to the upper outer quadrant of the left breast. this allowed for the resection of approximately 200 grams of tissue from her left breast that were marked and oriented for pathologic evaluation of cancer margins. also completed a left sentinel node biopsy.

performed right lumpectomy with multiple specimens for margins, as well as sentinel node sampling on the right side.

the examples are of three different pts.

they had immediate reconstruction after these procedures.

Look in the Coding Edge archives for the October 2009 issue. There's a really good article about breast reconstruction codes by Susan Ward.

Hopes this helps.