Wiki Help with Lap Assisted Colectomy

caromissunc1

Best answers
HELP! I am getting a little confused about laparoscopic colectomy procedures. I have an OP note that is listed as a "Laparoscopic Assisted Hemicolectomy". Any help is appreciated:
"10 mm port was placed and pneumoperitoneum was established. Additional ports were placed under direct visualization. Bowel graspers were used to identify the cecum and terminal ileum. Dissection began by mobilizing the terminal ileum and right colon along the white line of Toldt. With the terminal ileum mobilized adequately, the point of resection was then identified on the distal right colon. The terminal ileum was grasped with a locking grasper and a point of open incision location was identified by lifting it towards the abdominal wall. With this identified in the right lateral abdomen, the pneumoperitoneum was released and an open incision was made. The terminal ileum was taken through the open incision and the GIA stapler was utilized on the terminal ileum, then the right colon was presented into the field and a GIA stapler was used to transect the right colon. Standard side to side anastomosis was performed and delivered back into the abdomen. The right lateral incision was closed in layers. Pneumoperitoneum was re-esablished and the abdomen surveyed. the anastomosis appeared hemostatic. The area was irrigated and suctioned with clear effluent. Pneumoperitoneum was then released. The trocar were removed under visualization, the umbilical port was removed and the sites closed."
Is this considiered a Lap Colectomy or just a regular open colectomy with anastomosis?

I am leaning towards 44205. You HAVE to make some kind of incision regardless. In order to remove the specimen from the abdomen. There is no such thing as a colectomy without an incision of some type other than the trocar sites. I am beginning to wonder if procedures I coded out as "open" were actually laparoscopic......