Wiki Help with ICD-9 coding for referrals

cbeste

Best answers
I posted the following a while back under the "Diagnosis Coding" section and didn't receive any responses, so I am hoping posting it here will help generate a response:

I would greatly appreciate some help. Our electronic medical system requires that when a referral for a mammogram is given, an ICD-9 code is attached to it. Usually V70.0 cannot be added as a diagnosis for the visit because the patient has come in for a problem-based visit (e.g. hypertension follow-up) and the doctor then decides to give them a referral for a regular screening mammogram. It is my understanding that V76.10 or V76.19 would be used if a manual breast exam was given and V76.11 or V76.12 whould be used only at the facility that is providing the mammogram. What diagnosis code can I link with the referral for a mammogram to an outside facility? We have the same issue with colonoscopy referrals. Thanks very much.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can use the screening V codes to communicate a referral you just cannot use them on the claim for the office encounter when it is ordered.

Thanks very much for the response. So there is no way to show on the claim form that a referral was given for a regular screening mammogram and/or colonoscopy at a problem-based visit?