Wiki Help with filing a COBRA claim

jhendrix08

Best answers
We have a patient that came in today for an appt (we are her PCP) with a print out that she has Cobra coverage. The print out is lacking in the info department. No phone number, claims address, ID #. It lists a "Policy Name" and "Policy Number" and active status. I've never dealt with Cobra before when filing a claim. I haven't yet contacted the patient for more info; wanted to check with all of you first. I'm not even sure what questions to ask! Any help is much appreciated!

In my experience, the COBRA coverage is through the same insurance the patient had before the COBRA was active. Was the print out from her employer or an insurance website? You definitely need to know a claims filing address, contact number and effective date of the COBRA coverage at a minimum. We also request proof that the premium payment was made (Oncology practice and most of our patients who go on COBRA are getting chemotherapy).

I've contacted the patient to get all of that info you mentioned. Thank you for clarifying that the insurance should still be through the same carrier...I thought that was the case but wasn't positive. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! You've been very helpful. :)