Wiki help with Charging Fx Care

AAcuncius

Best answers
Hi, My ortho Dr. was called in for an Inpatient consultation on a patient that was admitted from the ED. Patient is splinted by the ED Dr. My Ortho Dr. reviewed the X-rays and at this time does not wish to remove the splint but wishes to cast/reevaluate the patient's fx in a few days. Are we able to charge fracture care since my Ortho Dr. did not actually alter/treat the fracture during this consultation? If not, what is the correct charge. Or if someone could lead me in the direction on where to locate some information about this topic.? HELP

Last edited:
Does anyone have anything at all? I have tried researching and have come up with very vague answers.

Thanks
Angela

Fx Care

I have not been doing fracture care very long, but I had to go back and fix a mistake just this week. I had the other coders within our facility review documentation and was informed only charge fracture care when immobilizing fracture. I hope this helps. I have been coding primary care for the majority of my years, so when I coded the fracture of the new patient I assigned fracture care when I should have left it as only a new patient office visit code since he had been splinted prior to the visit, per the other coders here.

THANK YOU so much for at least posting a reply from your past experience. It helps me out especially when the DR. is questioning and wants proof.
Angela

Hi... I would think that the ER doctor is doing the care that they would get the fracture care with modifier. The ortho doctor did consult and get that from the ER and then continue with the fracture care code when he sees the patient aftercare with that modifier.

thanks, Sue