Wiki help with a denial

ollielooya

True Blue
Best answers
Level 3 office visit where family practice dr. discussed pros and cons of cancer screening with MCR patient. No digital exam as had been done 5 wks prior.

Patient declined PSA after counseling. Spent 15 minutes face to face discussing pros and cons. EM visit was denied with V76.44.

I'm thinking that another code should be sequenced first with the V76.44 as secondary but not sure what that may be. Any advice from anyone, please?

You did not perform any screening so V76.44 is not the correct dx code for this patient. You need a counseling V code. I would need to read the entire note to be able to know which one to suggest. Remember the screening V codes are used only when the screening procedure is performed.

Aha, Debra! I always feel like I've caught the "big one", when you reply. Never know whose post you'll comment on, but makes me smile when you reply to mine. I was wondering about that as far as the other V codes for counseling are concerned, which leaves V64.2 or the V65 category and I've requested the complete notes.