Wiki help w/knee arthroscopy

scooter1

Expert
Best answers
I am thinking 29881 and possibly G0289 ( loose bodies). The Dr. is stating 29881 and 29876. I would appreciate help on this one . . .

Arthroscopy revealed cartilaginous loose bodies in the suprapatellar pouch as well as the medial and lateral gutters. They were removed with the arthroscopic shaver. There was grade III chondromalacia of the patella. A chondroplasty was performed of the patella removing loose articular debris. There was a medial plica with a small tear of the medial plica. The medial plica was resected back to the level of the capsule. The medial compartment revealed fraying of the medial meniscus. This was debrided back with the shaver. There were no chondral defects. The lateral compartment revealed a tear in the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus as well as grade II chondromalacia of the lateral tibial plateau. Using the shaver and biters, a partial lateral meniscectomy was performed. A chondroplasty was performed of the lateral tibial plateau removing loose debris. Arthroscope was then removed.

You can use the G0289 for loose body removal with the 2988X code as it was in the patella compartment. Just be aware to know the carrier, some require a minimum of 5mm size of the loose body before they will support payment.

I am thinking 29881 and possibly G0289 ( loose bodies). The Dr. is stating 29881 and 29876. I would appreciate help on this one . . .

Arthroscopy revealed cartilaginous loose bodies in the suprapatellar pouch as well as the medial and lateral gutters. They were removed with the arthroscopic shaver. There was grade III chondromalacia of the patella. A chondroplasty was performed of the patella removing loose articular debris. There was a medial plica with a small tear of the medial plica. The medial plica was resected back to the level of the capsule. The medial compartment revealed fraying of the medial meniscus. This was debrided back with the shaver. There were no chondral defects. The lateral compartment revealed a tear in the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus as well as grade II chondromalacia of the lateral tibial plateau. Using the shaver and biters, a partial lateral meniscectomy was performed. A chondroplasty was performed of the lateral tibial plateau removing loose debris. Arthroscope was then removed.

I see 29880 (medial & Lateral). You can use 29874-59 to show a separate compartment. I always like to see the size of loose body being at least 5mm.