Wiki Help w/ DX

ayen

Networker
Best answers
What is the dx code for frequent fall? I use 781.2 but not sure about it and 781.2 is dx code for abn. gait. Is this the same as frequent fall?

frequent fall

Have you thought of the V15.88 personal history of fall, along with the current fall? E code? Was the patient injured? Dizzy? This could all be incorporated to explain the condition.

I wouldn't use 781.2 unless the documentation actually states that the patient has an abnormal gait. If the documentation states any signs/symptoms or injuries that were due specifically to a fall use the appropriate E-code OR use Fall NOS E888.9 if there is insufficient documentation to select a more specific code. There is gennerally a reason that caused the fall or an effect from the fall (i.e. syncope, weakness, pain, contusion, swelling of limb/joint, dizziness). Query the physician if the documentation is not specific enough. If it's more of just a generalized statement that this patient has frequent falls but a fall is not the cause/main purpose of the visit use V15.88.

Last edited: