Wiki HELP!!! Same Dr. Two DX/Two Insurances

q1stmdb

Contributor
Best answers
I have a doctor who saw the same patient for two different diagnoses. The neck/back is covered only by the patient's personal injury case, while the knees is covered by Medicare. How to split the services for the E/M done on the same day for both diagnoses. --- HELP!
This is for a follow-up. The patient did a 'by-the-way' doctor; where the doctor has been seeing him for the neck/back, and then says take a look at my knee.

I have a doctor who saw the same patient for two different diagnoses. The neck/back is covered only by the patient's personal injury case, while the knees is covered by Medicare. How to split the services for the E/M done on the same day for both diagnoses. --- HELP!
This is for a follow-up. The patient did a 'by-the-way' doctor; where the doctor has been seeing him for the neck/back, and then says take a look at my knee.

In this situation, the MD would need to have 2 separate notes--one strictly for the personal injury, the other strictly for the knee. (S)he will have 2 different E/M levels for the day, with one claim being filed to the liability insurance for the injury, and the other to Medicare for the knee. There's not really any other way to make sure he has sufficient documentation for each individual service being performed, and in case of audit, each note/claim can stand on its own.

Hope this helps!