Wiki Help- pt travel

SarahEFox

Contributor
Best answers
Pt came in to get meds and talk before going over sea's, and that is all that was documented for this visit. Which V- code would be most appropriate?

My experience has always been that travel encounters are primarily counseling visits on disease and/or injury prevention in addition to the necessary vaccines and prophylactic medication is sometimes given.

Based on this, I would recommend you report V65.49 (other specified counseling). If prophylactic medication was given, I would also report V07.8 (other specified prophylactic or treatment measure). You would also report the V codes for any vaccines given.

Hope this helps and this is my opinion

Last edited:
My experience has always been that travel encounters are primarily counseling vists on disease and/or injury prevention in addition to the necessary vaccines and prophylactic medication is sometimes given.

Based on this, I would recommend you report V65.49 (other specified counseling). If prophylactic medication was given, I would also report V07.8 (other specified prophylactic or treatment measure). You would also report the V codes for any vaccines given.

Hope this helps and this is my opinion

In my opinion your opinion is a good one. :D

Something else to add here.....if the travel encounter was primarily a counseling visit for disease/injury prevention, I would report an E/M code from the preventative medicine counseling section (99401-99404) based on the time spent with the patient in counseling. You also of course need to report the CPT codes for any vaccines given.

Also, if vaccines were given, I think you would have a significant, separately identifiable E/M with the preventative medicine counseling code, so I would add modifier 25 to the E/M (99401-99404).

Hope this helps and this is my opinion.