Wiki Help! Office visit with Stent Removal with Strings billing

Best answers
Hello fellow coders etc...,
I am hoping you can help me with my question. I have taken on a Urologist and I am stuck on a relatively simple question. The provider will do a cystoscopy, ureteroscopy, holmium laser lithhotripsy. with placement of double J stent at the hospital, then the patient will come in the office for a post-op removal of the stent (with strings). This is a separate date of service, and the guidelines state (for a separate dos) that stent removal (w/strings) is included in the E&M charge. My question is, first, I was under the impression that if a patient came into the office for a planned procedure with no separate billable reason then the office visit would be nonbillable. What is the appropriate way to bill for an office visit with stent (w/ string) removal. Thank you, I hope you can help me with my inquiry.

kimberly_cottrell@chs.net

When I billed for Urology we used to bill the procedure only with a 58 modifier (usually was within the post op period). I never had an issue with this.

Melissa Harris, CPC
The Albany and Saratoga Centers for Pain Management

If the physician performs an EM and pulls out the stent with string then only an EM code would be billed. If no EM and/or the nurse pulled stent then 99211.