Wiki Help Needed-Scar Revision coding question

kekancler

Best answers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm new to plastics coding and I need help with the below scenario.

The procedure - Scar Revision & Excision of the Hypertrophic Scar of the Right Forearm.

Op report reads as follows-" Attention turned to right forearm where a hypertrophic scar was noted with 4 to 5 raised .5cm round keloid type hypertrophic scars in a linear configuration for about 4 cm in length along proximal volar right forearm. Excision of the hypertrophic scars in a linear fashion was then outlined, & as it was approaching the cubital fossa, the scar was angled slightly more transversely to prevent the vertical scar from going across the cubital fossa. The inferior portion was angled slightly in opposite direction to create an S type of scar to minimize scar contracture. The intervening scar tissue was excised and sent for pathological exam. Wound margins were now undermined, advanced and closed with #5 Monocryl interrupted intradermal suture & #5-0 prolene continous intradermal suture.

Would I use px 13121 & 11400 x 5 for the excision of keliod scar or would I just use px 13121 by itself??

Thanks!
Kancler

Hello Kancler. I would bill only 13121. Reason being is that the scar revision includes excision of the hypertrophic scar [creation of a defect]. This has been an ongoing query in the plastics arena for some time. If you google it, super coder comes back with a few scenarios.