Wiki Help? If it isn't documented you can't code it..... but

Best answers
I've run into a situation of a scenario for the removal of a PermCath diaylsis catheter due to an infection.

The scenario does not state if it is hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis. It states in the CC section that "This patient comes in today with a request by Dr. Brown to see if the patient's dialysis AV fistula should be removed due to infection and, if so, for removal."

Research I've done it seems as though an AV fistula only pertains to hemodialysis. Can anyone confirm this? I'm asking because I was told the correct diagnosis code is 996.68 which is specifically for a peritoneal dialysis catheter.

Any help on clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

The Quinton Permcath is used as a temporary bridge for hemodialysis while waiting for an AV (arteriovenous) fistula access which is a direct connection of an artery to a vein, usually in the forearm.

You are correct, the AV fistula is used for hemodialysis.

So if that is the case, then how could 996.68 be a correct diagnosis for this?

If the removal was for a hemodialysis catheter due to an infection, what would be the correct diagnosis code?

Many thanks!

Look at code 996.62. If you read the description under this code the second entry states "Arteriovenous Fistula" and the last entry states "Vascular catheter (arterial) (dialysis), (Peripheral venous). Hope this is helpful.