Wiki Help! Diabetes

abs1821

Best answers
So the practice we are coding for the Dr.'s are circling more than one diabetes code per patient sometimes. They will circle 250.60,70,90 and 62....is there ever a case where more than one code would be needed or accepted?

Also...my understanding is unless they are being seen for something that is a direct result of diabetes (i.e. routine foot care) then I code it second?

A patient can have more than one diabetic complication, so it is reasonable that more than one coded however you cannot have one code for stated out of control and another that says not stated out of control for the same encounter. You need to read the chart note to determine the correct codes. In addition to the diabetes code you will need a code for thr manifestation

I asked him for dictation but he insists that it's both...I don't know how to explain that it can't be both. If the 5th digits were the same then yes...but one 0 one 2 makes them contradict each other.

I go with the most specific diagnosis possible for that particular visit. We have patients with Post-Laminectomy Syndrome, lumbar, which is a chronic condition and is the underlying cause of their pain...but CC will vary from visit to visit with acute LBP radiating down right leg or patches of numbness/skin disturbance, then with low back pain complaints.

I asked him for dictation but he insists that it's both...I don't know how to explain that it can't be both. If the 5th digits were the same then yes...but one 0 one 2 makes them contradict each other.

There is no way you can code both and you cannot accurately code without the visit note. I would not code the encounter at all then. no codes=no claim