Wiki Hardware removal???

Amzie

Networker
Best answers
I have a physician that wants to charge for a hardware removal for anchors that were previously put in during a previous shoulder surgery. He wants to charge a 20680, but this procedure that he did was performed arthroscopically because he also performed a debridement of the shoulder.

How would I code the hardware removal? Or can I even code this since he is removing anchors only, and no screws, or plates? Remember this is all done arthroscopically.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I don't think he can charge for anchor removal if he is already in there doing a debridement. Because it is at the same incision site. Have you checked on CMS website?

Connie

You know I have not done that, so I will double check there, but it makes since that he is already in there doing the debridement in the same incision with the scope.

Thank you :)

I have a physician that wants to charge for a hardware removal for anchors that were previously put in during a previous shoulder surgery. He wants to charge a 20680, but this procedure that he did was performed arthroscopically because he also performed a debridement of the shoulder.

How would I code the hardware removal? Or can I even code this since he is removing anchors only, and no screws, or plates? Remember this is all done arthroscopically.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

it would be 29999 unlisted compared to 20680...but expect to appeal..