Wiki H&Ps and Anesthesia

LisaAlonso23

True Blue
Best answers
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to explain to my providers why we may not bill 99201 with anesthesia CPT codes. I have provided the following link from NCCI:

http://www.aana.com/resources2/qual...-CPTcodes00000-01999_FINAL01012015_103114.pdf

I've explained that it's bundled into the anesthesia codes, but they are not convinced. They are claiming that they are providing H&Ps for podiatrists who are not medical doctors, so they should be able to bill 99201. In addition, the facilities require this of them.

The link above does state that 99201-99499 can be billed separately with a 59. When would this be acceptable bill? Did I miss something?

All insurance our office has spoken to has stated that this is unbundling. Does anyone have a reference for me to provide them?

I appreciate your help. Thanks!!

Wow, Its pretty clear in the link. What do they want it straight from the ASA?

Maybe CPT book working would help? Its at the beginning of the Anesthesia section of the CPT:

[FONT=&quot]The reporting of anesthesia services is appropriate by or under the responsible supervision of a physician. These services may include but are not limited to general, regional, supplementation of local anesthesia, or other supportive services in order to afford the patient the anesthesia care deemed optimal by the anesthesiologist during any procedure. These services include the usual preoperative and postoperative visits, the anesthesia care during the procedure, the administration of fluids and/or blood and the usual monitoring services (eg, ECG, temperature, blood pressure, oximetry, capnography, and mass spectrometry). Unusual forms of monitoring (eg, intra-arterial, central venous, and Swan-Ganz) are not included.[/FONT]

Thank you so much for your reply. They feel that they do more in their exam to make it billable. The explanations make sense to us, but leave enough open for them to interpret it differently.