Wiki H&P visit vs Comprehensive visit

chaimz

Best answers
My understanding is a comprehensive visit is selected as a preventive code (Established: 99391-99397. The other day, my boss told me History/Physical visits are coded as a regular office visit (Established Patient: 99211-99215).

I thought H&P was a preventive visit. If not, please tell me why. I have been trying to research this, but am coming up on dead ends.

Thank you.

Last edited:
This is how I understand it to be:

The preventative codes are used for those patients being seen for their annual wellness visits. These visits are usually done only once a year - and insurance will only pay for these codes usually once a year or everyother year.

An H&P (History and Physical) is something that is needed for a patient who is going to have a procedure done or is being admitted to the hospital. These would be billed with either the new or established patient CPT codes (99201-99205 or 99212-99215) if done in the office or as an outpatient.

What are all codes we can use to code H&P visit if it is a proper inpt note?
Please supply more context to the question. History and Physical, a component of an E&M, is the most formal and complete assessment of the patient and the problem and should be in most encounters. The E&M Guidelines is a great place to start.