Wiki H&P only

All of the E/M codes "could" be used for an H/P. The deciding factor is why is the H/P being done?

Is this an H/P done by a primary care physician at the request of a surgeon for surgical clearance?

Is this H/P being done as a hospital requirement and is not otherwise needed?

Is this a well visit? School sports/camp visit?

Does the patient have a particular condition that is being treated by the physician doing the H/P?

Sorry I couldn't answer this more clearly.

Suzan

Hi Suzane -

I just heard back for the Dr. -- He is doing the H&P for another dr. who will see the patient? So is there an E/M for that?

So your doctor is NOT seeing patient?

Hi Suzane -

I just heard back for the Dr. -- He is doing the H&P for another dr. who will see the patient? So is there an E/M for that?

Sorry, I'm confused. Your doctor is filling out an H&P on a patient s/he is NOT seeing because some other doctor is seeing the patient?

Please clarify.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Sorry, I'm confused. Your doctor is filling out an H&P on a patient s/he is NOT seeing because some other doctor is seeing the patient?

Please clarify.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Yes, Tessa that's correct. I am LOST!

Here is what I have from one of the coders:

A military patient that is coming in for an outpatient
procedure. There is already a physician assigned to do the procedure, an H/P needs to be done and Dr. X was
asked to do it. He won't be doing it until Friday - I just needed to
know which code to use due to the fact that, this is ALL she will be
doing for the patient.

Is she part of the same practice as the MD doing the procedure? When is the procedure? Is it the hospital requiring the H/P? Was the patient seen by the procedural MD prior?