Wiki H&P done by the PA on the day of surgery done at an ASC

trose45116

Expert
Best answers
Can anyone tell me what code is used when an H&P is done by the PA on the day of the surgery? The surgery is performed at an ASC. I am having problems in finding info on this. I want to make sure its coded right. Do we use a 9921x with the 57 modifier??? Please help. Thanks

Was the decision for surgery made during the visit? Usually Surgeries at an ASC are planned in advance. You can't bill for an E&M on day of surgery if the decision to do the surgery was made on a different day. Its bundled in the surgical procedure

ok so if the surgery is already scheduled and they do the h&p on the day of surgery its bundled in the global package? do you know where i can find this info at? i just want to have it in so i can show the doctor. thanks

See page 62 of the 2015 CPT book published by the AMA. first bullet under CPT Surgical Package Definition. The following is included in the Global surgical package:

Evaluation and Management (E/M) service(s) subsequent to the decision for surtery on the day before and/or day of surgery (including history and physical)

Here is some information on the global surgical package by Medicare.

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...oducts/downloads/GloballSurgery-ICN907166.pdf