Wiki GYN exam w/abnormal findings

asehr

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know where I can find "specific" guidelines for an abnormal finding on GYN exam? Does it include patient complaints and/or physical findings on exam? Example, if we have a patient coming for annual exam, but complains of dyspareunia, physical exam is normal, is that considered an abnormal exam based on patient complaint? Or, a patient comes in for annual exam, physician notes "extremely dense breasts" on exam, is that an abnormal finding (my physicians say that is considered to be a variation of normal, depending on the patient)?
Any help would be appreciated!

Coding

Does anyone know where I can find "specific" guidelines for an abnormal finding on GYN exam? Does it include patient complaints and/or physical findings on exam? Example, if we have a patient coming for annual exam, but complains of dyspareunia, physical exam is normal, is that considered an abnormal exam based on patient complaint? Or, a patient comes in for annual exam, physician notes "extremely dense breasts" on exam, is that an abnormal finding (my physicians say that is considered to be a variation of normal, depending on the patient)?
Any help would be appreciated!

See the linked article below....hope this answers your question:
http://news.aapc.com/the-a-b-c-ds-of-mammography-coding/

abnormal vs normal

I was wondering the same thing with the new "with abnormal findings" - only for routine adult exam.
If the patient presents for a routine exam, but they have a history of hyperthyroidism (controlled, but needing a refill while she's here) - does it become an abnormal exam?

my thought is if the exam is normal (no issue's even though she has a disease) - to bill it as normal without abnormal findings.

An abnormal finding is exactly what it states, an abnormal finding. Something discovered by the provider in the course of examining a patient with no symptomatic concerns, All persisting issues are stated as stable? Refilling meds for a chronic problem is not abnormal. A patient that presents for a preventive but then has a symptomatic issue is also not an abnormal finding. A provider that feels a lump that U.S. unknown to the patient is an abnormal finding. Or a patient with no complaints that has a high blood sugar reading that the provider discovers is an abnormal finding.