Wiki GS Compensation

Williealawishes

Networker
Best answers
The dreaded question everyone hates to ask around about. Research shows it just depends on where your from, what you do and what you know. I have a tricky situation and would love some input. So here goes my story....

I have been a Medical Assistant for 19 years. The first 10 years assisting in back office oral surgery procedures and the rest working in the front office billing department. I started with my current employer of a 3 General Surgeons group 6 years ago as a self employed person who works at home remotely. I started in AR which of course the denials lead me to coding. I took a course and received my CPC 4 years ago and have been the only coder for our office since. In addition I run the entire billing department which includes two of us, with me overseeing this other position that is on-site who posts all of our payments. So currently I am a one man show with lots of monkeys on my back called collections, denials, etc...the list could go on. I do currently make a decent salary for the Midwest area. When I negotiated with these physicians in the past I of course pointed out being self employed they were not paying my taxes, ins, ect.

As most of you know, little groups have a hard time making it with overhead and so many changes in regulations. We will be merging with a large company. This company is creating a specialty clinic of 8 General Surgeons. I will be moving forward no longer self employed but still working remotely. I will be a solo coder for all 8 surgeons, all billing will be done elsewhere. I will still have the employee on site that I will work with, she will be receiving all denials for the 8 surgeons which means I will be correcting all coding denials. As much relief as I feel unloading a whole entire billing department...which feels pretty dang good by the way. I hope I am not being over confident thinking I can keep up with 8 surgeons.

The other surgeons in this larger company have been coding themselves. It appears this is causing high denials and a great deal of confusion going on in many levels and departments. My system is tight, my denials low, write offs minimal and AR over 80% within 90 days. They know this and express their "need" for me. :eek: So, the dreaded compensation question.....I would LOVE any thoughts on my situation moving forward with this new company.

If anyone wants to further discuss my side project of being requested to audit one of the providers in this new larger company.....or my other side project of liquidating all the current accounts with my current small practice....please feel free to let me know. I could use any advice you veterans out there want to throw at me!!!

Tracy

Look at the salary survey published by the AAPC.

The other surgeons in this larger company have been coding themselves. It appears this is causing high denials and a great deal of confusion going on in many levels and departments. My system is tight, my denials low, write offs minimal and AR over 80% within 90 days. They know this and express their "need" for me. :eek: So, the dreaded compensation question.....I would LOVE any thoughts on my situation moving forward with this new company.

Show them the money! That is, point out what they'd lose if you walk. Put together a business proposal outlining their potential errors and loss of revenue as compared to your expected salary and benefits. Offer to do a pre-employment audit of the surgeons that are coding themselves, and pay particular attention to reporting their losses/errors based on your results. Add to that their risk of compliance audits, their ICD-10 training (like they're going to be able to figure it out themselves....) and their potential for patient dissatisfaction when the bills go out incorrectly. You should have enough information to support your salary.