Wiki Group Psychotherapy

kjhopkins

New
Best answers
I have a Clinical Social Worker that is seeing 2 brothers. He normally sees them in a one on one situation. But he has seen the two together for a group session for 60 mins. He wants to bill each patient 90832(Psychotherapy 30 mins w/ patient). Can i do that ? Or should I 90847? If so which patient do I bill ? Or bill both patient 90847 with a modifer 52 ?

This is all new to me and I would appreciate if advice.

Thanks
Kristy Hopkins CPC, COC

I would bill the 90847 for one patient. So I have a lot of questions, you need a treatment plan, has he done that and if so on one or both patients? If we have patients who come in with either a spouse or family member, we would bill the 90847. An example would be let's say a teen, the teen is the patient but we see them with Mom and dad. The teen is the primary patient they have the treatment plan, they get charged and they have the documentation in their charts. Our counselors wouldn't see multiple family members individually as it would be a conflict so mom and dad are not treated as patients. I hope that make sense.

Thanks for your information it was very helpful. My counselor is seeing 2 brothers. They both have a treatment plan. The brothers have a sibling rivalry and cannot get along. He is documenting his visit in both boy's record. They meet for 60 mins total time. He wants to bill each boy 30 mins. What do you think?

Last edited:
That's a good one, I can see why you're struggling with it, not a situation I've had before. Typically I'm used to seeing spouse or parent child where only one is the patient. I still don't think I'd bill both separately for counseling. Does he always see them together?