Wiki grace ford Cardiology Coder

grace07

New
Best answers
I received billing tickets (2) on the same patient and one ticket states a right heart cath was performed from the neck. The second card says a right heart cath was performed from femoral access. Should I bill cpt code 93501 two times with a 76 modifier, or is there a different code.

Thanks,

I received billing tickets (2) on the same patient and one ticket states a right heart cath was performed from the neck. The second card says a right heart cath was performed from femoral access. Should I bill cpt code 93501 two times with a 76 modifier, or is there a different code.

Thanks,

Was both caths have pressures taken, or was one used for placement for monitoring the patient in the ICU?

Thanks,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Forget what the 2 tickets say and pull the cath procedure reports and verify what was really done.

You could find a number of things:
duplicate tickets
femoral RH cath in AM with neck RH cath in the PM
a failed femoral RH cath with a successful neck RH cath

A separate issue is coding from charge tickets vs coding from the procedure report itself.

Forget what the 2 tickets say and pull the cath procedure reports and verify what was really done.

You could find a number of things:
duplicate tickets
femoral RH cath in AM with neck RH cath in the PM
a failed femoral RH cath with a successful neck RH cath

A separate issue is coding from charge tickets vs coding from the procedure report itself.

I agree with sbicknell. While it is not uncommon to have RHC's performed frequently, two in one day is a bit unusual. Verify with the cath report, this could just be a duplicate ticket.

HTH :)