Wiki Global Surgery

tylene1993

Best answers
I had a patient who had a 90 day global urology surgery at another facility out of state and then presented to our Urology clinic for an office visit. As a physician, can we bill for our visit just like we would any other visit or would we need to have a 24 modifier on it due to the fact that she is in a 90 day global, even if it wasn't at our facility?

I hope that this makes sense. I really need some clarification.

I had a patient who had a 90 day global urology surgery at another facility out of state and then presented to our Urology clinic for an office visit. As a physician, can we bill for our visit just like we would any other visit or would we need to have a 24 modifier on it due to the fact that she is in a 90 day global, even if it wasn't at our facility?

I hope that this makes sense. I really need some clarification.

Global surgery requirements are only applicable when the patient is seen by the provider or the same type of provider in the same group within the 90 day time limit. As long as your physician is not part of the group (billing with the same tax id number) where the original procedure was done you would treat the patient as you would any other new consult/new pt. I hope that was helpful.

If the patient is seeing your provider for post operative care then you use a V code for post op status and the same surgical code used by the surgeon and append the 55 modifier. However you do need a transfer of care from the surgeon to care for their patient for postoperative reasons.