Wiki "global period" timing?

TLC

Guru
Best answers
Confused on the timing of the global period, should you start counting from the day of the surgery or the day after, eg: patient has a procedure 9/6 would that be the first day then you could start charging the patient again on 9/15 or would you actually count from the next day 9/7 and could start charging the patient again on 9/16.

Thanks hope not too confusing of a question.

Determining the Duration of a Global Period
To determine the global period for major surgeries, carriers count 1 day immediately before the day of surgery, the day of surgery, and the 90 days immediately following the day of surgery.
EXAMPLE:
Date of surgery - January 5
Preoperative period - January 4
Last day of postoperative period - April 5

To determine the global period for minor procedures, carriers count the day of surgery and the appropriate number of days immediately following the date of surgery.
EXAMPLE:
Procedure with 10 follow-up days:
Last day of postoperative period - January 15

http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf

global period

I'm sorry I'm confused that doesn't make sense,,If you count the day of surgery as day one, in your example Jan 5th as the first day then the last day would be the 14th. Counting Jan 5th to the 14th is 10 days.

I'm sorry I'm confused that doesn't make sense,,If you count the day of surgery as day one, in your example Jan 5th as the first day then the last day would be the 14th. Counting Jan 5th to the 14th is 10 days.

Re-read Mojo's example...

Determining the Duration of a Global Period
To determine the global period for major surgeries, carriers count 1 day immediately before the day of surgery, the day of surgery, and the 90 days immediately following the day of surgery.
EXAMPLE:
Preoperative period - January 4
Last day of postoperative period - April 5

To determine the global period for minor procedures, carriers count the day of surgery and the appropriate number of days immediately following the date of surgery.
EXAMPLE:
Procedure with 10 follow-up days:
Last day of postoperative period - January 15