Wiki global period for Xenograft

MWicke

Best answers
I need help—My doctor treated a wound in December 2011 with the one of the old xenograft CPT codes which had a 90-day global. The patient came back to the office today and the doctor wants to report the new xenograft CPT that now has a 0-day global. Can we begin reporting the new xenograft CPT on a wound that was treated last month in 2011?

I need help—My doctor treated a wound in December 2011 with the one of the old xenograft CPT codes which had a 90-day global. The patient came back to the office today and the doctor wants to report the new xenograft CPT that now has a 0-day global. Can we begin reporting the new xenograft CPT on a wound that was treated last month in 2011?

Did he apply a new graft? If yes, then you can bill the new code for the date that the patient had it applied (in 2012), with whichever modifier you'd need to override the global edit - (probably 58 or 76, depending on the circumstances).

If no, then he can't. It will deny because the CPT code is invalid for the DOS. 2012 codes aren't good for DOS in 2011. Hope that helps! ;)