Wiki Global OB billing

Best answers
I need some input on a situation going on with one of my clinics and billing global OB care. We have a provider who joined our practice from another group practice. There is some debate about what can/should be billed. If the patient had more than 7 antepartum visits, the delivery and postpartum visits in the current practice can our practice bill for global services? Some of the patients were seen one or two times at the previous office. Some coders are saying that we have to split bill for antepartum and then delivery/postpartum. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

If they were seen anywhere else during their pregnancy for regular prenatal care, you need to split bill it because I gaurantee that the other practice will be billing out their services. The exceptions would be if they are insured by a company who requires the global code or if they are insured by Medicaid. Even then the patient would have needed to be seen by your providers by certian gestation age.

Last edited:
Have these patients previously followed with the provider in the practice that the provider came from?

yes, all of these patients came with the provider from his previous practice, they were only seen for the Initial OB appointment at the previous practice.