Wiki Getting insurance to pay for massage therapy

shoy7

Best answers
I would like to know if anyone has had any experience billing insurance for massage therapy and if so what criteria would you use..

Thanks for your help..

Billing massage therapy can be tricky and is based on payer rules. For example, some payers will only pay one modality with a visit or two modalities max. Massage therapy is billed in 15 minute increments but I have never seen more than 1/2 hour get paid by health insurance - in my experience. Be sure patient signs an ABN saying they know they might be liable for payment if insurance denies the therapy.
In many cases, HMOs tell their patients that massage is a member benefit which entitles them to say, 25% discount on massage therapy and it does not go through insurance. Patient pays at time of service. I know at least 2 HMOs that have that rule.
So, if you charge $75 for a 50 minute massage, the patient only has to pay out of pocket $56.25....which is cheaper than going to a massage spa.

When I worked for an insurance company we did not pay for massage therapy except to treat lymphedema post-mastectomy. It was an exclusion, and the patient was liable - we did not make it provider liability. However, you should check with each carrier you want to bill - this is one area that they are not universal on.