Wiki Getting First Practice Manager position

ral1231

Best answers
Hello all,

Hope you can offer some assistance.

I have 20 years of senior level management/leadership, managing 90+ with 12 direct reports and $5 million P & L. Last fall I took the CPPM exam. Happily I passed the CPPM exam on the first try.

It's my hope to transition to Medical Practice Management from my current leadership position.

Here is my question. I've had some excellent interviews. However, my lack of experience as Physician Practice Manger (PPM) is getting in the way. How did those of you in PPM get your start? There are 100's of openings, most stating they want 2, 3 or 5 years experience. Seems there must adequate supply of experienced managers, as it is so often a requirement.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

In a previous life, I was a practice manager. I started out at the front desk, answering phones and doing some back office billing. Once I had that experience within a practice setting, it was easier to get a position as a manager. I would attempt to get my foot in the door in some other health office position first. Then after gaining experience in that setting, you should be able to find a PM job.

I'd like to know that answer as well. I have a similar situation plus 6 years in medical. Every interview that I've had tell me that they loved me and interviewed very well but they wanted the MBA and prior management experience in the medical sector. Well I went back to school and got my MBA. Needless to say I'm still not in a management/leadership position yet. I am currently still trying to work my way up where I am at. All I can say is to keep moving forward. It will come.

Kristi