Wiki Getting experience

medcoders

New
Best answers
I wish AAPC had a program for new coders to take where they code so much for a period of time online so the coders can claim they have experience. This would help new coders to be able to get a job.

If coders take the exam to get certified, they should not have a problem getting a job, but that is not the case. Employers want experience. Isn't there any way we could create such a program? Coders would join the program and code hundreds of charts either in a 6 month period or a year to get the practice, knowledge and develop the expertise needed. They then can claim they have so much experience when applying for these positions. They could claim developed coding experience through AAPC's online specialty program or something to that nature. This should be able to intrigue employers to want to hire these coders and get them started on their new career. Also it could drop off the A on the CPC-A status.

What are your thoughts?

Sue

Sue
I feel your pain. Having the exact same situation. Passed the exam 1st time out and can not get in the door. All are asking for experience. The old catch 22.

However I love your suggestion it would give some hope to us new coders.

Kathy

I truely understand

I have not been able to find anyone in my area that is willing to hire an apprentice. Every time I attempt to apply online there is always a problem. Looks like I am going to have to go back to school for something else. This is so frustrating. I need a job. Because this is making me wonder what was the use in getting certified. I worked hard for this, and I want to be able to use what I have learned. You graduate and nothing.:confused:

I have been working within the medical field for over 22 years in accounts receivable and I too have recenlty

received my certification as a apprentice. Like so many others no one wants to hire unless you have direct medical coding experience.

I believe there was a program like this in the past; however I did not use it, so I'm not sure of the exact details. But from what I understand, if you signed up, you were given something like 800 op notes to code, I think this went towards gaining experience and also towards removing the "A" designation from your certification. Based on older threads that I've glanced through, sometime last summer, there were problems with that part of AAPC's website, and it was never fixed or reinstated. Look back through the threads, maybe in the "student" section, and you can probably find much more info than I have.

AAPC president and CEO, Reed Pew, published an article on the elimination of the "A" designation in January's Coding Edge with the new proposals.
Please take the time and go read the article and then let your voices be heard. There is a email for you to respond to in the ariticle. This is your chance to have your voices heard, so do not let it pass by. :)