Wiki general multi-system exam 1997 guidelines musculoskeletal bullets

jpruitt114

Best answers
Under the Musculoskeletal section of the General Multi-System exam in the 1997 Documentation Guidelines, how many bullets are possible in total for this section. There is a descrepency in our office as to whether the total is 6 bullets or if each of the bullets can be multiplied by how many areas were examined. It is understood that for a Musculoskeletal exam specifically the wording states to count each element seperately for each body area but under the General Multi-System exam, under the musculoskeletal section it does not say this. :confused:

Also, I have read several opinions regarding this but I am looking for someone to refer me to actual documentation that proves either interpretation of the guidelines, not opinions.

This is very clearly addressed in the 1997 Guidelines. Check out page 32 for the musculoskeletal exam.

Here's the relevant excerpt:
NOTE: For the comprehensive level of examination, all four of the elements identified
by a bullet must be performed and documented for each of four anatomic areas. For
the three lower levels of examination, each element is counted separately for each
body area. For example, assessing range of motion in two extremities constitutes two
elements.

I'm also attaching another version of the 1997 Musculoskeletal exam that I got form EMUniversity.com that also clarifies this point:

NOTE: Determine the number
of body areas
addressed within
each bullet. Enter that number
on the line beside each bullet.
Total at the bottom of this box.
Inspection, percussion and/or
palpation:____
Assessment of range of motion:______
Assessment of stability:____
Assessment of muscle strength
and tone:____
* Total Bullets:_____
(including gait
and station)

Attachments

• Specialty_Exam_Musculoskeletal.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I am not talking about a specialty Musculoskeletal Exam, I am talking about a General Multi-System Exam. I need to know in a General Multi-System Exam how many musculoskeletal bullets are possible. The wording is different on the General Multi-System Exam.

@jkokenos, the wording is only slightly different (because obviously the Musculoskeletal exam is more detailed) but they both have the same meaning. I don't see how anybody could argue that you wouldn't count it the same way. For example, in the general 1997 multi-system exam why would you not count assessment of range of motion of the left knee and right knee as 2 bullets?

Look at the way it is organized:

Musculoskeletal
• Examination of gait and station
• inspection and/or palpation of digits and nails (eg, clubbing, cyanosis, inflammatory
conditions, petechiae, ischemia, infections, nodes)

Examination of joints, bones and muscles of one or more of the following six areas: 1)
head and neck; 2) spine, ribs and pelvis; 3) right upper extremity; 4) left upper extremity;
5) right lower extremity; and 6) left lower extremity. The examination of a given area
includes:
• Inspection and/or palpation with notation of presence of any misalignment, asymmetry,
crepitation, defects, tenderness, masses, effusions
• Assessment of range of motion with notation of any pain, crepitation or contracture
• Assessment of stability with notation of any dislocation (luxation), subluxation or laxity
• Assessment of muscle strength and tone (eg, flaccid, cog wheel, spastic) with notation
of any atrophy or abnormal movements

Clearly by phrasing it that way, they are indicating that for each body area (identified by a number) you get credit for any of the findings identified by a bullet.

If it helps you understand, think of it this way:

Musculoskeletal
• Examination of gait and station
• Inspection and/or palpation of digits and nails (eg, clubbing, cyanosis, inflammatory
conditions, petechiae, ischemia, infections, nodes)

HEAD AND NECK
• Inspection and/or palpation with notation of presence of any misalignment, asymmetry,
• Assessment of range of motion with notation of any pain, crepitation or contracture
• Assessment of stability with notation of any dislocation (luxation), subluxation or laxity
• Assessment of muscle strength and tone (eg, flaccid, cog wheel, spastic) with notation

SPINE, RIBS, AND PELVIS

RIGHT UPPER EXTREMITY

LEFT UPPER EXTREMITY

RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY

LEFT LOWER EXTREMITY

See how all of the bullets are available under each body area? That's the way it is layed out, but in a more concise way, in the 1997 Guidelines.

I respectfully disagree. You are stating that we can use what is states for the Musculoskeletal Exam and apply it to the musculoskeletal section of the General Multi-System Exam. By this logic then could we use what it says in the Eye Exam towards the eye section of the General Multi-System Exam and get 12 bullets for eyes since under the Eye Exam there are 12 possible bullets?

For the specialty exams such as an eye exam it makes sense that there are more possible bullets in the eye box to count because there are no other boxes besides nuerological to count bullets from. For the General Multi System Exam you can count at least two bullets from every box from constitutional to psychiatric therefore it seems frivalous to count each musuloskeletal bullet times each area examined.

Last edited: