Wiki general anesthesia question

AmandaW

Guru
Best answers
New to anesthesia coding...I have to code the anesthesia only-not the procedure.
I'm wondering on diagnostic/screening procedures like colonoscopies, etc. if I should be coding the findings like you would when you're coding the procedure itself or if I code the reason...?

sometimes it won't be just for screening though-using the colonoscopy as an example-could be rectal bleeding, history of cancer, family history of cancer, severe stomach pain, etc.....So, I would code that first and then the findings if something was indeed found? Even when just coding for the anesthesia? 00810.

If a definitive diagnosis is determined, that will be what's coded. If they don't determine why the patient is experiencing symptoms, code the symptoms.

You may only code a screening if the patient has no symptoms or past symptoms.

Hope this helps. :)

sometimes it won't be just for screening though-using the colonoscopy as an example-could be rectal bleeding, history of cancer, family history of cancer, severe stomach pain, etc.....So, I would code that first and then the findings if something was indeed found? Even when just coding for the anesthesia? 00810.

I answered in your other thread but ill post it here. I'm not sure if the other replies are focused more on coding the surgical procedure or giving advice based on the few carriers that still have anesthesiologists bill the surgical codes (10000-69999) instead of of the ASA anesthesia codes (00100-01999). If they are referring to the carriers that want the CPT code i'm not sure of the answer as I have never worked for a payer who doesn't want the ASA codes.

The description of 00810 is Anesthesia for lower intestinal endoscopic procedures, endoscope introduced distal to duodenum

Many different procedures qualify under this definition. There are endoscopy and colonoscopy codes that meet this definition. Most if not all scopes inserted rectally fall under this ASA Anesthesia code.

Last edited: