Wiki Gastroparesis Secondary to diabets? How would you code this?

lfisher78

Contributor
Best answers
Would you guys code the diagnosis of uncontrolled diabetes and gastroparesis Secondary to diabetes as 249.62 and 536.3 or would you code this as 250.62 and 536.3 because the description does not say due to? I am unable to query, and this is the only information I was given.

Last edited:
saying a condition is secondary to something is the same as due to. You would go with the 250.60 (you have no statement that this is out of control either) with the 536.3 as a secondary dx.
249.xx codes for secondary diabetes is for diabetes caused by something such as diabetes due to pancreatitis or diabetes due to steroid use.

Causal Effects

Debra is correct, you don't have to have the exact words "due to" in your note. You must have language that clearly indicates the causal effect of the underlying disease on the manifestation/complication. For example: "subsequent to", "associated with", or the adjective "diabetic" will document the relationship. The use of "and" will not satisfy the requirement. I've found "due to" and "associated with" to be strong support and recommend their implementation in your EMR system.

That's what I figured, codes 250.62 and 536.3, my co worker did not believe that it was those codes even after explaining it to her. Also as stated in my previous statement the document reads uncontrolled diabetes and gastroparesis Secondary to diabetes, this is one note so the 5th digit should be 2.

Thanks you guys