Wiki G2211

One of my clients contacted me yesterday and said that Palmetto Medicare was denying payment for the G2211 but paying the E/M code fees. Strange since the code is listed when you use the CPT look up tool.
I'm guessing that the insurer claims systems are not properly set up to accept that code, as is typical with new things like this, which just makes more unnecessary work for the billing staff to deal with the denials.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

Do you think it may be diagnosis related? I haven't seen any list of diagnosis codes and CMS has not restricted the types of specialties that can use the code, to my knowledge. My client is not getting the G2211 paid for any claims right now. They're going to contact Palmetto to see what the issue is.

we are regularly getting paid for G2211 by Palmetto Medicare. We have used many diagnoses (including acute problem codes and Z codes). It looks like it may work with all diagnoses.

Two issues that might affect payment: Using -25 modifier when billing; Problems with the clearinghouse (eg the Change Healthcare cyberattack).