Wiki Fx Coding & Injections help

leastham

Contributor
Best answers
I need some help with orthopedic Codes!

Patient comes in office with a Colles fx, We didnt use the fx code. we see the patient as a new patient 99204 and we do xrays and a cast. when the patient comes back in for follow up are we allowed to charge for another office visit ? If patient has to have a replacement cast can we charge for that. (99204,73110 rt,29075 rt ,q4010 )

Injections, When a patient gets a steroid injection in the knee, We bill 99204 (25), 20610 rt, j3301. Is there something else we should be billing besides this?

Synvisc injections a series of 3 injections, Can we charge for a office visit on the 2nd and 3rd injections. Since this is considered a Sx Code. 99204 (25), 20610 rt, j7325.

Thanks,
Lisa

I am not sure what you mean when you say you did not code the fx code. But I assume you mean the fx care code. In ortho you allowed to bill either ortho global or alternative. Alternative has no global days and is the office visit plus the cast code. I f there was no reduction performed you may code this method.
As far as injections go, you may code the office visit with a 25 modifier for the initial visit only if it meets the criteria for the 25 modifier. However for the subsequent injections you may not code the OV since the evaluation of the patient for the necessity of the injection has already been performed. The subsequent injections are planned ahead of time. Any assesment at the time of the injection is an inherent part of the injection itself.