Wiki Frusterated with finding job!!!

jsmith2391

Best answers
Hi, My name is Jenna Smith, I live in the Syracuse-Utica area and cannot find a job. I have been a medical receptionist for over a year and thought that would count towards my apprentice but it doesn't. I am very frusterated because every job requires at least 2 years experiance. I don't understand how in order to get a job you need experiance, but need the job to get the experiance... I have put my resume into over 25 employers, but they all said that I need experiance. I was under the impression that once I recieved my degree (Associates) I would not have a problem with finding a job. That is definately not the case! I was planning on working for 3-4 years and then getting a remote job so I can work from home... If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it.

Hi Jenna, I can understand your frustration. All I can say is just keep trying! Talk to people at your local chapter meetings, look on other websites besides careerbiolder and monster. Try simplyhired.com, or virtualvocations.com
Good luck with your search!

Hi, Jenna. I can understand your frustration, because you expected to be able to be working as a coder as soon as you were certified. You're not alone with that frustration, but it's increasingly difficult to find entry level positions these days and even more difficult for coding managers to hire coders who don't have experience.

You are however, employed in the medical field. There are probably several hundred coders on this board who would be thrilled to at least have that opportunity, so you're actually ahead of the game a bit. Even though a receptionist position is not exactly what you'd like to be doing, I'd encourage you to be the best medical receptionist that they have. Volunteer to go way over and above your job description, and find out what you can do to make your supervisor's job easier. Continue to learn and take advantage of the knowledge of the people around you. Ask your co-workers what they do during the day. Ask to job shadow some of them. Be organized, on time, professional an enthusiastic. If you get yourself noticed (in a good way), then you're more likely to be recognized if a coding or billing position does turn up.

Attend your local AAPC chapter meetings on a regular basis, and get involved. I have hired several coders that way, and am always on the lookout for new talent as coders become certified.

Twenty-five resumes in this job market is not many, so don't get discouraged. Have someone take a look at your resume to make sure you don't have any spelling mistakes or missing information. If you aren't selected for a job, you can always go back to the interviewer (via email) and ask what you might be able to do better next time to secure a job.

Keep a positive attitude, because a discouraged one will come through in an interview and eliminate any chance you might have of getting hired. Good luck.